1/2 Photos of Festive Deep Red Velvet Christmas Cupcakes
Super San Mateo Chefs's Note:
These cupcakes are absolutely beautiful! Great for holiday parties and get-togethers. The decorating paste is very concentrated compared to typical food coloring. Be careful not to get in on your hands…it is very difficult to wash off. It gives the batter a lovely bright red coloring. The sanding sugar provides an elegant finishing touch. Both items can be found at Williams-Sonoma or similar type stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (3/4 ounce) bottle decorating paste red food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups confectioner's powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon decorating paste green food coloring
- 6 tablespoons white sanding sugar
- 6 tablespoons red sanding sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line a 12 count muffin pan and a 6 count muffin pan with silver foil liners, for a total of 18 large cupcakes.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, electrically beat cake mix, cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and red decorating paste for about 4 minutes.
- 4Pour batter evenly between the cupcakes until about two-thirds full.
- 5Bake 19-24 minutes or until toothpick comes up clean from center.
- 6Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- 7Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- 8Microwave cream cheese and butter for around 15 seconds to bring to room temperature.
- 9Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and the whipping cream for about 3 minutes until fluffy.
- 10Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- 11Frost 9 of the 18 cupcakes with ½ of this white frosting.
- 12Sprinkle white frosted cupcakes with red sanding sugar.
- 13In the remaining ½ frosting, add green decorating paste and beat until blended.
- 14Frost the remaining 9 cupcakes with this green frosting.
- 15Sprinkle green frosted cupcakes with white sanding sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Festive Deep Red Velvet Christmas Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (2041 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.8
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 223.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 30.9 g
- Protein 3.4 g