1 hr 18 mins
fay hutch's Note:
This was in Veg News a few years ago. It kind of tastes like Thanksgiving, but in pie form. It's vegan. It's delicous.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed (reserving 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 1/4 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 3 1/2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 (9 inch) prepared vegan whole-wheat pie shells, thawed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until onions begin to soften and caramelize. Set aside.
- 2In a food processor, add chickpeas (except reserved 1/4 cup), walnuts, lemon juice, and tamari, and pulse to lightly chop (do not puree). Remove half of chopped mixture from food processor and transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Transfer sauted onions to the remaining mixture in food processor. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 4Transfer puree to bowl with lightly chopped chickpea and walnut mixture. Add spinach, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and 1/4 cup of reserved chickpeas. Stir to combine and transfer to prepared pie shell, spreading evenly.
- 5Combine oil and tamari, and brush on top of pie and crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 33 to 38 minutes until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley, cut in wedges, and serve with cranberry sauce.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Festive Chickpea Tart
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.8
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5067.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 22.2 g