Recipe by fay hutch
This was in Veg News a few years ago. It kind of tastes like Thanksgiving, but in pie form. It's vegan. It's delicous.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
FABULOUS! I just made these as little tartlettes for a luncheon and they were soooo good. It actually was pretty simple to make and was appreciated by everyone. It's a wonderful main dish and made into mini muffin pans it also makes a fabulous appetizer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed (reserving 1/4 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 (9 inch) prepared vegan whole-wheat pie shells, thawed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until onions begin to soften and caramelize. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas (except reserved 1/4 cup), walnuts, lemon juice, and tamari, and pulse to lightly chop (do not puree). Remove half of chopped mixture from food processor and transfer to a large bowl.
- Transfer sauted onions to the remaining mixture in food processor. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Transfer puree to bowl with lightly chopped chickpea and walnut mixture. Add spinach, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and 1/4 cup of reserved chickpeas. Stir to combine and transfer to prepared pie shell, spreading evenly.
- Combine oil and tamari, and brush on top of pie and crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 33 to 38 minutes until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley, cut in wedges, and serve with cranberry sauce.