Recipe by Potluck
Whole-grain,treacle-sweet,very heavy-textured bread.It's a one bowl,one spoon,one step bread that couldnt be easier. This version is from Ferrcarrig Hotel near Wexford.
Top Review by elliesstuff
This bread weighs a ton and is very hearty. It made delicious toast but other than that it was so-so- a little too heavy. I was looking for something grainy but softer, such as we get in a local Irish restaurant.
- 1 cup natural bran
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 cups whole meal flour (whole wheat with a little wheat germ)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 quart buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add buttermilk.
- Place mixture into greased loaf pan.
- Bake 475 degrees for 15 minutes.Reduce temp 350 degrees.Bake 60 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven.
- Wrap loaf in damp cloth.
- Allow to stand for 3 hours before cutting -- .