Recipe by evelyn/athens
If you've never tried fennel, but want to, this is the dish for you. This makes a wonderful side course to roast meats, or it could be served as a first course with crusty bread to dab at the sauce.
Top Review by Barb G.
Very, Very good, I made this for guest and everyone enjoyed it. Made it just like the recipe said even using your recipe for Bechamel sauce (cut the sauce recipe in half.) Thank you evelyn for posting the recipe.
- 2 lbs fennel bulbs
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup grated parmigiano
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup bechamel sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the fennel, strip away the outer layer of leaves if they're tough, slice the bulbs into thin wedges, and boil them for 10 minutes in salted water.
- Drain them well and sauté them in the butter, adding the milk a few tablespoons at a time, and once you have added it all simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the béchamel sauce and preheat oven to 400F.
- Butter an oven-proof dish, and when the fennel is done simmering transfer it to the dish.
- Dust the fennel with the grated cheese, pour the béchamel sauce over it, and bake the fennel for 20 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.