Htapodi Me Makaronaki Kofto (Stewed Octopus With Macaroni)
This is really quite delicious. If you've never tried octopus, I urge you to. It is meaty and rich-tasting, and the macaroni tastes wonderful cooked in the rich juices it produces.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs octopus, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground)
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes or 3 cups canned tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 1/2 lb similar type like ziti pasta or 1/2 lb penne
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Rinse the octopus under cold, running water and place in pot dripping wet (you don't want to dry it off - this is the moisture it will cook in).
- Add the red wine, garlic, onion, bay leaf and cinnamon and cover the pot.
- Bring to the boil over low heat.
- It is tender when pierced easily with a fork (this can vary from octopus to octopus, so time is not a good indicator of doneness in this case).
- Remove the octopus and let cool until cool enough to handle and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, in pot you have cooked the octopus in, add tomatoes and olive oil. Boil for 8-10 minutes to bind the sauce.
- Stir in the cut octopus and nearly-cooked macaroni and simmer for the remaining 3-4 minutes required to cook your macaroni (if mixture appears too dry, add some of the pasta cooking water - you want this quite 'moist' but not soupy).
- Stir in butter. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Note: I use digitali pasta for this, but I can't get it into the ingredient list with the new Zaar format.
- Bon Appetit.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow Evelyn a big thank for all of us!<br/>We enjoyed the htapodi with ziti and came out delicious! <br/>This recipe is very easy to follow and the taste is great.<br/>We had this dish for the first time more than 20 years ago in a restaurant in the old marked of Chania (Crete, Greece). It was fantastic to repoduce this in our house, sitting on the balcony and looking at the see. Yummy!Reply
see 7 more