Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 12 medium cucumbers
- 6 medium onions
- 6 red peppers, Seeded
- 2 quarts gherkins
- 2 quarts white pearl onions, Peeled
- 2 large cauliflower heads, Break cauliflowers into bite-sized flowerets.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pickling salt
- 8 cups sugar
- 8 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- Finely chop or grind, through the medium blade of a food chopper, the cucumbers, onions, and red pepper, and put each ground vegetable into a separate bowl.
- Rinse the food chopper between each vegetable.
- Also put into separate bowls, the gherkins, white onions, and the cauliflower flowerets.
- Sprinkle each vegetable with the salt, using about 1/4 c to each bowl.
- Cover the gherkins, pickling onions, and cauliflower with cold water and let all the vegetables stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain the chopped vegetables in a colander; drain the whole vegetables and dry them with a towel.
- Mix the vegetables in a preserving kettle, stir in the sugar and 6 cups of the vinegar, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Combine the flour, mustard, tumeric and celery salt and mix them to a smooth paste with the remaining vinegar.
- Stir the paste gradually into the vegetables and continue to stir until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Turn the pickles into jars and seal at once.