1/1 Photo of Favorite Chinese Chicken Salad
Some of you may wonder why we need another Chinese Chicken Salad recipe here at Recipezaar. This is a recipe that my DH's cousins made at a family reunion years ago. I keep losing it so decided to post it here since it is unlike the other recipes posted here. Don't leave out using the frozen vegetables. It's amazing how much added flavor and crunch they give to the salad. There is no other recipe posted like it.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 4 precooked boneless chicken breasts, shredded (or 5 - 6 large thighs)
- 1 large napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 -2 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup jicama or 1/2 cup water chestnut, thin julienned slices
- 8 ounces frozen peas and carrots, unthawed (or frozen mixed veggies)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 2 (3 ounce) packages uncooked oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles (save 1 seasoning mix packet for dressing) or 2 (3 ounce) packages chicken-flavored ramen noodles, crushed (save 1 seasoning mix packet for dressing)
- 1Mix the first 7 ingredients plus the package of seasoning mix from the ramen noodles, into a saucepan and heat until all ingredients are dissolved and mixed well.
- 2Pour this warm dressing into a bowl and add the shredded chicken.
- 3Cover bowl and refrigerate dressed meat while preparing the other ingredients so that the chicken will marinade and flavor the meat.
- 4Put the 3 Tablespoons of Canola oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat.
- 5Brown the crushed Ramon noodles, slivered almonds and sesame seeds in the hot oil until golden brown, stirring often.
- 6Drain the toasted items on paper towels and set aside.
- 7Mix the shredded napa cabbage, sliced green onions and jicama in a large bowl.
- 8Put the frozen peas and carrots into a colander and rinse well with water.
- 9Add the drained peas and carrots to the salad and mix.
- 10With a slotted spoon, remove the marinated chicken from the dressing and add the chicken to the salad.
- 11Pour the dressing ingredients over the salad and mix well.
- 12Refrigerate salad if not serving immediately.
- 13Just prior to serving add the toasted ingredients to the salad and blend well,. (toasted ingredients will stay crunchy if not added until just before serving.).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Chinese Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.8
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 806.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: