Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is an adaption of chef Emeril Lagasse's favorite tortilla soup recipe. It is great for cooking for a potluck or just for your own family. It is relatively easy to make, but a real winner for taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock (You can substitute chicken broth out of a can if you don't have any chicken stock on hand.)
- 1 lb chicken, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (Or use dried cilantro is you don't have the fresh version available)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers, salt, cumin, and coriander for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until chicken is completely cooked).
- Add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir well.
- Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot or electric fryer to 350 degrees F. Add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until golden and crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper or Season All.
- Ladle the soup into 4 or 6 serving bowls. Garnish each serving with the diced avocado, the fried tortilla strips.