2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was featured in a Betty Crocker promotional article in a newspaper from January, 1943. The article was entitled 'Tricking Up Meatless Meals' and suggests serving this 'Favorite Cheese Casserole' with a starter of Vegetable Noodle Soup with Crisp Crackers and then sides of Celery Hearts, Creamed Asparagus or Green Beans, Head Lettuce Salad with French Dressing and finishing the meal with Cherry Pie and Coffee. It's a fun and very easy recipe! I'm posting it here for history's sake. Preparation time includes 1 hour refrigeration time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off bottom crusts of bread, and enough of top crusts to square off slices.
- 2Lay 6 slices close together in well greased 8"x12" inch baking dish.
- 3Cover with slices of cheese, then top with remaining 6 slices of bread.
- 4Beat egg yolks, add milk and seasonings, and mix well.
- 5Pour over "sandwiches" in baking dish.
- 6Let stand in refrigerator several hours. (The liquid will be absorbed by the "sandwiches").
- 7Bake in a moderate oven, 350 F for 1 hour.
- 8(Used dried crusts later, they are excellent for fine crumbs. Keep egg whites covered in refrigerator to use for white cakes, icings or meringues).
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.0
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 164.6 mg
- Sodium 932.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 18.2 g