Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A little twist on your dinner salad - the lettuce is gone - toasted bread took it's place. Posted for ZWT 2006 Asia & Africa Regions as the ingredients are typical of both SW Asia & North Africa.
- 4 piece pita bread
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 14.79 ml flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml salt, to taste
- 2.46 ml black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven 400ºF
- Cut the bread into small (1 inch) pieces, place on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crisp and light brown.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, cucumber, spring onions, garlic, parsley and mint.
- Toss with the lemon juice and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add the toasted bread and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Great taste! My friends loved this and I will make it again. I used 2 cucumbers and 3x the parsley!
Yummy and so fresh-tasting. Quite different from the version I usually make, but very good.
This was really good. I did not put the bread in the salad but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thanks Lisa