Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
I absolutely love fattoush, the Lebanese pepper and cucumber salad with mint and other great summer stuff. Instead of serving it in the traditional way, with stale pita crumbs incorporated into the salad, I like to fold it up in a soft pita and make a great summer sandwich. And because I find the onions, garlic and cilantro flavors so assertive, I really like to punch up the fresh mint so it stands out!
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, unpeeled,seeded and chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 3 -4 tablespoons of fresh mint, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small lemons, juice of
- salt and black pepper
- 4 soft pita breads (not the "pocket" type, the soft kind you can fold up)
- cheese, for sandwich (I like Havarti , not real Middle Eastern, but it tastes good!) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all of the vegetables and herbs (except garlic).
- Prepare the dressing: whisk together the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- If you're serving sandwiches with cheese, lay a couple of slices of cheese on the pita round.
- You can lightly bake it to melt the cheese, or serve cold.
- Mound some of the fattoush along the center of the pita, fold up and enjoy!