pink cook's Note:
This recipe is from Travel to Lebanon Website. "This tart and refreshing Lebanese salad is very versatile: you can make it with lettuce or purslane, and with or without bread or cooked rice. The fresh herbs are important not only to add flavor but also to hold the ground sumac that gives the dish its distinctive taste." Enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large pita bread, split horizontally
- 1 large romaine lettuce, heart cut crosswise into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (or use 1 large English cucumber)
- 1 1/2 pints cherry tomatoes, quartered (or use grape tomatoes)
- 3 cups Italian parsley, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground sumac (see Note, or use fresh lemon juice )
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°. Bake the pita bread directly on the oven rack for 10 minutes, or until the bread is dry and crisp but not browned. Let the pita bread cool completely, then break it into 1-inch pieces.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce with the sliced scallions, cucumbers, quartered tomatoes, chopped parsley, mint leaves and ground sumac.
- 3Drizzle the olive oil over the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add the toasted pita bread pieces to the salad and toss again. Serve at once.
- 4NOTE: Sumac is a fruity, tangy spice that is ground from the dried berries of a wild Mediterranean bush. It is available at Middle Eastern markets.
- 5Can be served also with cooked rice, red onion, Feta cheese, hot peppers as a side dish with Grilled Chicken, Lamb or Shrimp, if you like.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fattoush - Lebanese Salad -
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.3
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 479.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: