Recipe by Ratatouilleee
Yummy fresh out of oven Lebanese spinach pastries. Got this off a website. Note: You can substitute spinach with unchopped purslane leaves.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (plain)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 kg fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac (as desired)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon thickened pomegranate juice (as desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dough (ajeen). Check my recipies for Ajeen (basic arabic dough). Leave aside and cover for an hour to rise. Make sure dough doubles in volume.
- Filling: Remove roots and yellow leaves from spinach. Chop finely then wash well and drain, rub with ½ tspn salt. Drain spinach again with your hands to dry. Mash the onions with remaining salt. Add pepper and sumac. Add spinach to onion, then mix in oil and pomegranate. Put aside.
- Roll out dough using a rolling pin till dough is as thin as possible (5 mm). Invert a tea cup on dough and press to have equal circles.
- Place a tbls of spinach filling on each piece. Bring up sides at 3 points to form a triangular shape.
- Press edges firmly with fingertips to seal completely (put flour on finger tips to help seal).
- Place pies on oiled baking sheets. Bake in a moderately hot oven (200° C) for 30 minutes.