Prep 1 hr 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this on a package of Red Star Yeast.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients.
- Heat water and yogurt to 120 to 130F in a small bowl.
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough.
- Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough almost doubles (about 40 minutes).
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles.
- Roll or pat into a 14 x 7 inch rectangle.
- Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal.
- Place in greased 8 x 4 inch bread pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching (about 40 minutes).
- Bake in preheated 375F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan; cool.