Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I know, I know, this site certainly doesn't need another banana bread recipe...but this is truly a wonderful, moist, nearly fat-free loaf. There's just the fat in the eggs, and you could probably substitute Egg-Beaters (although I've never tried it). Even my "why do we have to eat healthy" family love it....and they all swear to hate any baked goods made with whole wheat flour!
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar (I'm sure this could be reduced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour and baking soda, mix well.
- Add bananas and sour cream till blended.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 70 minutes.
- Note: If you don't have enough banana to measure 1 cup, use additional applesauce for the balance.
omg these are fantastic! i made a few modifications (used only 1/2 the suger, added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 C chocolate chips, and used NF greek yogurt in place of sour cream) but they are so moist and tasty. you wont even miss the butter/oil!!! i made mini muffins and cooked them about 15 minutes.
Last time I made banana bread, it was too spongy, but this bread was very good, SO easy to make, and very moist. I used 1/2 a cup of brown sugar(if your bananas are ripe enough, you definitely do not need a full cup of sugar), used 1/2 cup of greek yogurt instead, added a pinch of nutmeg and 1 tsp of cinnamon as the others suggested. A little more cinnamon and nutmeg wouldn't hurt! Next time I'm going to try adding chocolate chips and/or walnuts!
Wow. This is SO good! I made it with All egg sub. 1 tsp. each butter, and rum extract. 1 tsp. cinnamon. And a pinch of nutmeg. Also, I used half the amount of brown sugar but I put a little splenda in there too. I made this into two small loafs and got 16 servings at about 100 cals a serving and a miniscule amount of fat from the flour. They turned out AMAZING! Thank you so much! [Photo uploaded with comment]