Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Pacific Fresh" cookbook, an easy sauce for busy days. I've used it when making manicotti and of course, over plain pasta.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, pureed slightly
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- In saucepan over medium heat, warm oil.
- Add onion and garlic; saute until soft.
- Add pureed tomatoes, tomato sauce, herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally 10- 15 minutes.
Quick 'n easy is right! I prefer low sodium sauces, so the ease of being able to make a quick one that I can control the salt in is ideal! I used no salt added petite diced tomatoes and omitted the salt. Loved the flavor produced by the simple combo. Thanks for sharing!
This was all right but I felt it needed a bit more spice or flavor.
This is a very nice pasta sauce with a lovely, light flavor. I had all of the ingredients on hand so it was simple and quick to put this togther. Rather than pasta I used it in Recipe#197203. Perfect combination! I'll will definitely make this again. Thanks rochsann!