Recipe by HAGT
If you don't have much time, these black eyed peas will surely do the trick. I usually only use 1 cup of meat and serve it over cornbread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 cup ham, from ham hock, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- I use a Dutch Oven for this dish.
- Heat oil over medium heat and saute onions, garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper and meat for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth, hot sauce, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minute.
- Add drained black eyed peas and simmer just a few minutes more.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Serve over cornbread or rice.