Recipe by Petite Mommy
Easy, flavor-filled fried chicken w/gravy and only 166 calories. You will love being able to eat something you love without all the extra fat. This recipe proves that healthy eating is delicious. | Serving size: 3 oz chicken and 2 tablespoons gravy | (Recipe courtesy of American Heart Association: Love your heart recipe book, p. 45)
Top Review by loof
A light version of chicken and gravy - who knew it would be so easy?!? The gravy is very rich and flavorful, great with the chicken. I had some chives on hand so used those instead of the optional green onions. Comfort food without the guilt - thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for the Best of 2011 event, recommended by LifeIsGood
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz each)
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk or 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light margarine (tub)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the flour for 2 minutes, or until light golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add oil to the skillet and swirl to coat bottom. Cook the chicken smooth side down for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 more minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer to serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, whisk 1/4 cup of broth into bowl with browned flour until completely blended. Whisk in the remaining broth, milk, garlic powder, salt, and mustard. Pour into skillet, scraping with a falt spatula to dislodge any browned bits. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes, or until reduced to about 1/2 cup, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir into the margarine. Spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with the green onions.