24 hrs 30 mins
From: “South of the Sahara: Traditional Cooking from the Lands of West Africa” by Elizabeth A. Jackson.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and skinned
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon maggi seasoning, sauce (or daddawa)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1Soak black-eyed peas overnight. Drain. Remove skins by rubbing the peas together in water and letting the skins float to the top, then drain again and discard skins.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 3Combine soaked skinned black eyed peas with onion, tomato paste, red pepper and salt in a food processor or blender and process until completely smooth. *Add 4-6 tbsp of water if necessary. You should not feel any lumps when you rub mixture between your fingers.
- 4Stir in oil, Maggi sauce and curry powder.
- 5Combine chopped onions and green peppers in a small bowl.
- 6Grease a 9-inch loaf pan.
- 7Pour 1 ½ cups of pea puree into the pan.
- 8Layer half of the shrimp and half of the onion/pepper mixture.
- 9Spread 1 more cup of pea puree into pan.
- 10Layer hardboiled egg slices over this. Spread chopped meat on top of egg slices.
- 11Spread 1 more cup of puree over meat. Add remaining shrimp, and then the remaining onion/pepper mixture. Spread the rest of the puree on top.
- 12Cover with foil and bake 1 hour.
- 13Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes until the top is browned.
- 14Cool in pan 20 minutes before turning out onto rack.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fancy Terrine of Black-Eyed Peas (Nigerian)
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.6
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 75.4 mg
- Sodium 154.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: