Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is our family's favorite minestrone soup recipe. We've tried others and keep coming back to this one, because it's usually healthier (no oil) and has more ingredients I have on hand. It's such a healthy filling meal. We are not sure where the recipe came from, but it's been on a piece of paper that is falling apart and I knew if I didn't put it in here I might lose it forever one day.
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups vegetarian chicken stock
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (can also use fresh-I usually one can along with chopped fresh tomatoes) or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (can also use fresh-I usually one can along with chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (I use fresh kidney beans often also)
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (or canned will work)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup pasta, uncooked (your choice of favorite style pasta. I usually use spirals or penne, but really it depends mostly on)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot combine the stock, the undrained tomatoes, potato, onion, celery, carrot, cabbage, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, corn, zucchini, and pasta. Simmer for 10 to 15 more minutes until the vegetables are tender. Season wit salt and pepper.
Made this yesterday and what a delicious soul warming soup. Yes it takes a little time to chop the vegetables but I really don't mind...alot of times I find it relaxing. I did cut the recipe in half and used the full can of kidney beans but other than that and using just the diced tomatoes with basil I followed the directions. Definately a keeper. Thank you! Made for January Warm-ups.
I thought this went together pretty easily, however it is time consuming, mainly from the point of view of cutting up vegetables. It also makes a very large recipe. That said it is very good, everyone who had it enjoyed it. The one item I might leave out the next time I make it is the corn, I am not sure the recipe needed it.
Yummy soup. I didn't mind chopping everything since I was in the mood to spend the day in the kitchen. I added some squash since I had some on hand and some small shell pasta which 'scooped' up the flavors and veggies well. I thought that it was a little bland so added some red pepper flakes to the leftovers the next day. Turned out really yummy. Thanks Enjolinfam for sharing. Made for All You Can Cook Buffet Tag special.