Prep 24 hrs
Cook 5 mins
I usually make a batch of falafel and store in the freezer to have on hand for a quick, healthy lunch. I freeze them on trays over wax paper, and once frozen transfer them to freezer bags. When wishing to use them, take the desired amount from the freezer and give them about 20 min to thaw a bit before frying in very hot oil. Some people like to use the end of a pencil to poke a hole in the center of the patty, they say it helps with the crisp. Makes a great sandwich stuffed into a pita with salad type veggies and your favorite condiment. You can skip the sesame seeds but to me, it really makes the falafel! :) hope you enjoy
- 3⁄4 lb dried fava beans
- 1⁄4 lb dried garbanzo beans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 large chopped scallions
- 3 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 bunch chopped parsley
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Wash and soak all the dried beans in a large pot with plenty of water for 24 hours.
- Drain the beans and place them in the food processor along with the baking powder and baking soda, and process. It will get a kind of bread crumb consistency.
- Now you can start adding in the chopped veggies all the while processing.
- Add in the spices.
- Process until very well mixed, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Take small handfuls and shape into balls and then flatten the balls slightly to form patties.
- Place the sesame seeds in a bowl and coat the patties with the seeds.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown and cooked through.
Outstanding recipe! Thank you!! DH and I eat these out quite often and he was shocked that I could make them at home and that they were so very good. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. I will make them again and again. Made for ZWT6.
gamil gamil gamil, lahzeez! Love the sesame seeds. :) Made for ZWT 6 for Looney Spoon Phoodies.