Recipe by **Mandy**
I haven't tried these yet but plan to for DD's birthday in September. From Australian good taste Sept 2003
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 150°C Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, continuing to beat until meringue is thick and glossy. Add vanilla and cornflour. Beat briefly to combine.
- Gently fold through coconut. When almost combined, add food colouring. Finish folding through coconut (don't over mix - colour should stay a bit streaky).
- Spoon level tablespoonfuls of mixture onto prepared trays, allowing room for spreading. Using the back of a teaspoon, make a small indentation in the centre of each coconut kiss. Fill each indentation with 1/4 teaspoon jam.
- Bake coconut kisses for 15 minutes or until just starting to colour (you don't want them to brown). Remove from oven and stand on trays for 10 minutes or until firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Variation Replace jam with 1 cup white choc bits. When cool, dust with pink sugar. To make pink sugar, place 1 cup icing sugar and 2 drops red food colouring in a storage bag. Rub until combined.