Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from The Foods of the Greek Islands. Posted for ZWT6. From the Greek island of Folegandros.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil, approximately, divided
- 4 cups diced stale bread (whole wheat, sourdough, or multigrain)
- 2 large onions, halved and thickly sliced into half-moons
- 4 fennel bulbs, trimmed (leaves and tender stalks reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fennel leaves, plus tender stalks (or fresh dill)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Fry the bread cubes in batches until golden on all sides, about 20 minutes, adding more oil if needed.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining oil and saute onions over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add fennel bulbs and cook 4 minutes more.
- Add wine and simmer 30 seconds.
- Add water, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until fennel is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons fennel leaves and add the rest to the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Place fried bread cubes on a serving platter.
- Spoon stewed fennel over bread and sprinkle with reserved fennel leaves.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.