Prep 20 mins
Cook 37 mins
This is a recipe I came up with myself after getting sick of on the run meals and I wanted to make something that would keep well during the day and energize me--while also giving me the fiber, veggies, and nutrition I need. A bar for quick snack to tide you over or even a few "bars" for a meal replacement. Obviously I like being healthy, so if you like the bread bar sweeter then use 3/4 cup of both brown and white sugar. This is good served warm with a slice of fat free cream cheese, cottage cheese, or even honey.
- 1 extra large egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (for the buttermilk)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons natural-style chunky peanut butter
- toasted walnuts (estimate according to how nutty you want it, you can even omit the peanut butter) or almonds (estimate according to how nutty you want it, you can even omit the peanut butter) or pecans, whatever you like (estimate according to how nutty you want it, you can even omit the peanut butter)
- cinnamon-sugar mixture, for the top if desired. (1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp sugar, combined)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a cake pan (9x13) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together milk with lemon juice. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Beat egg well, then add brown sugar, sugar, oil and beat together again. Add in vanilla, zucchini, carrots, cranberries and the milk and lemon mixture. Mix together well.
- Put the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nuts if you added any in another bowl. Mix them together.
- Add the dry mixture with the wet mixture, mix together until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the oiled pan and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar mixture onto the top if desired.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until wooden stick inserted into the middle comes out clean and the bars are not sticky in the middle.
- Turn off the oven but don't open the oven or take the pan out, just leave it in there for 5 minutes if you like the outside crispy. Don't overbake, they become really dry and hard.
Nice tasting receipe. I did not read the reviews until after I made it and therefore was a little disappointed when the recipe came out like a cake verses a bar. I was really looking for a bar. I think the title is miss leading and should be changed to indicate it is a cake not a bar. Thanks for sharing.
We loved these bars. Had to make a few substiitues to accomodate pantry & allergies: used flax instead of egg, choc chips for craisins, all brown sugar, sunbutter for peanut butter, no nuts. Made a great breakfast
Wow! Delicious! This is like something I would come up with (and then I would retire from life, feeling I had accomplished enough ;) My family and I are living in Prague for a few months and my quest for the ingredients spanned our first month here. I finally finished the list, finding a grater (although I gave up on the cinnamon and vanilla extract). I used Spelt flour, omitted the PB and added a T flaxseeds and about half-2/3 cup walnut pieces. I also used 2 small eggs instead of one large. I did an erratic baking job, using a too high convection setting at first and then baking it too much on top and not enough on bottom. Nevertheless, I was able to tweak it. And I do think you have to watch these closely and adjust the cooking time a LOT based on what ingredients you use and how moist you want the bars. We took these with us for breakfast and ate them in the most beautiful part of Prague we've seen yet, with views of the river and beautiful architecture in a less-traveled part of town. They were devoured by my two-year old boy and husband. It's hard to believe how good you feel after eating something so delicious. There is no sugar high and you are left feeling satisfied and balanced. Thanks a million, hellokitty!