Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm posting this here so i can throw away the 6+ pages of recipes i have for this recipe. I'm still working on the cake mix so for now i'm going to say to use banana supreme cake mix. When topping the cupcakes use the black sugar and jimmies sparingly, just a few grains of both will be fine. This is a recipe still being worked out so if you feel the utmost need to point something out to me please do so.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxsupreme banana cake mix
For the Syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons rum
For the Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
For the Topping
- dried banana pieces
- black sugar
- chocolate sprinkles (or whatever color you prefer)
- For the cake:.
- Prepare the cake mix as according to the package.
- Line a muffin or cake pan with foil cupcake wrappers. Make sure to use foil because we are going to soak the cupcakes with a rum syrup. The paper cupcake jobs won't do any good here.
- Pour the batter into foil cupcake liners and bake according to the package's directions.
- Let the cupcakes cool down a bit but be sure to leave in the cupcake pans for now.
- For the Syrup:.
- Combine the sugar, water and butter in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Take it off the heat and add the rum.
- Put it back on the heat and let it come back up to a boil.
- Spoon one tablespoon of the syrup into the cupcakes and let soak. I tend to add around 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons depending on my mood. After soaking let the cupcakes cool completely so they can be frosted.
- For The Frosting:.
- Melt butter and sugar in saucepan, bring to a boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in half and half and salt.
- Let cool completely.
- Add to mixer, whip until smooth.
- Add the sugar one cup at a time and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and rum, mix throughly and chill until ready for use.
- Pipe or frost the cupcakes using the frosting.
- After frosting, top the cupcakes with a dried banana chip placed in vertically. Also top with a combination of chocolate jimmies (or sprinkles) and black sugar used sparingly.