Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A chicken salad with fruit, nuts and and some interesting spices. This recipe comes from a cookbook that my mother gave me that is about 20 years old called "With Singleness of Heart". I will post the recipe as is, because it is really good, however I strongly recommend cutting back on the amount of mayonnaise and using a low-fat version. This recipe is suppose to feed 25 in lettuce cups.
- 8 cups bite size cooked chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 -2 lb seedless grapes, halved
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks or 1 (20 ounce) can litchis
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups toasted slivered almonds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, chestnuts, grapes, celery, and pineapple chunks.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, whipped cream, lemon juice, curry powder, soy sauce and sugar.
- Combine chicken mixture with salad dressing mixture; add slivered almonds.
- Serve in lettuce cups.
This is one of the best chicken salads I have had. Must admit, I didn't have any whipping cream so left that out and used lf mayonnaise. Definitly a do again recipe.