Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is in answer to a request on the British forum. From my beloved Mrs Beeton's Family Cookbook. Updated, naturally!
- Peel, core and slice the apples thinly. Mix together with the lemon rind and juice, sugar and water and put into a greased 1 litre pie dish.
- Cream the fat and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg until liquid and beat into the creamed mixture.
- Fold in the flour lightly and spread the mixture over the apples.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 180C, gas mark 4 for 40 - 45 minutes until the apples are soft and the sponge is firm.
- Serve with pouring custard or melted apple jelly and single cream.