Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
The first lasagna I learned to make and still my husband's favorite. The sauce is very tasty. From "365 Ways to Cook Pasta".
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (28 ounce) cansitalian style plum tomatoes, drained with juices
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 plain lasagna noodles or 15 spinach lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat the olive oil in a large wide saucepan; add the ground beef, onion and garlic.
- Sauté, stirring, over medium meat until the meat is browned.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sauce, basil and oregano.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until sauce is cooked down and thickened, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- There should be about 4 cups of sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Place noodles in a bowl of cool water until ready to use.
- Beat the cottage cheese, Parmesan and egg together; set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Add about 1/2 cup of sauce to bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Lift the noodles from the water individually and blot dry on paper towels.
- Arrange a slightly overlapping layer of 5 noodles on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover the noodles with half the ricotta mix; add about 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Arrange a second layer of 5 noodles.
- Add the remaining ricotta, half of the remaining sauce and half of the remaining mozzarella.
- Top with the remaining 5 noodles, the remaining sauce and the last of the mozzarella.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly, about 50 minutes.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.