3 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
The first lasagna I learned to make and still my husband's favorite. The sauce is very tasty. From "365 Ways to Cook Pasta".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (28 ounce) cans italian style plum tomatoes, drained with juices
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 plain lasagna noodles or 15 spinach lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large wide saucepan; add the ground beef, onion and garlic.
- 2Sauté, stirring, over medium meat until the meat is browned.
- 3Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sauce, basil and oregano.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until sauce is cooked down and thickened, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 5There should be about 4 cups of sauce.
- 6Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Cook the lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, about 12 minutes; drain.
- 8Place noodles in a bowl of cool water until ready to use.
- 9Beat the cottage cheese, Parmesan and egg together; set aside.
- 10Heat oven to 350°F.
- 11Add about 1/2 cup of sauce to bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 12Lift the noodles from the water individually and blot dry on paper towels.
- 13Arrange a slightly overlapping layer of 5 noodles on the bottom of the dish.
- 14Cover the noodles with half the ricotta mix; add about 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- 15Arrange a second layer of 5 noodles.
- 16Add the remaining ricotta, half of the remaining sauce and half of the remaining mozzarella.
- 17Top with the remaining 5 noodles, the remaining sauce and the last of the mozzarella.
- 18Bake until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly, about 50 minutes.
- 19Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Everyone's Favorite Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.9
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 162.8 mg
- Sodium 1608.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 57.3 g