Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This is an amazing recipe for hot summer days!
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 210 F and cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until they hold soft peaks, about 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the ½ cup of sugar, slowly and beat inches This will make the meringue.
- Take up a small amount of the meringue with a large spoon and drip onto one the baking sheet and make a swirl at the end - until the sheets are all filled with 2-4 cm meringues.
- Put the baking sheets into the pre-heated oven and bake for one hour or until dry and crisp.
- Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside to cool completely.
- As the meringue is in the oven, work on the jam. Take half of the strawberries and roughly mash them.
- Add the mashed strawberries to a saucepan with the remaining 1 ½ cups of sugar.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Turn down to medium heat an simmer for 15 minutes until it reaches a soft jam consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and leave to cool before putting it into the fridge.
- Quarter the remaining strawberries.
- In a large bowl whip the cream until it holds soft peaks.
- Add the strawberries and all of the small meringues and mix in using a metal spoon.
- Add a small amount of the jam into six small bowls and spoon the cream, meringue, and strawberry mixture into each of them and top with the jam.