Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A side-dish complementary to all Ethiopian food.
Make and share this Ethiopian String Beans Stew (Yefesoleya Wot) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb string bean (trimmed)
- 2 carrots
- 1 potato
- 1 leeks or 3 green onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1 red onions or 1 shallot
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon sun-dried tomatoes or 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (berbere)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic (diced) or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 hot green pepper (seeded and sliced)
- water (as required)
- salt and black pepper
- In a boiling water, cook the string beans until crispy-tender (10 minutes).
- Meanwhile chop all vegetables in desired shapes.
- In a medium pot sauté the onions and the leek or the green onion with one tablespoon of oil for one minute.
- Add to the onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and the rest of the oil; stir-fry until tender (10 minutes); add the bell pepper and cook for a minute;.
- Add half cup of water, diced tomato, sun-dried/tomato paste, basil, garlic, chili powder (berbere), salt and pepper; Cook it for five minutes or more;
- Drain the string beans in a strainer and rinse with cold water in order to retain its green color.
- Mix the cooked string beans and the vegetable sauce; cook it for 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced hot green peppers and remove from heat. Serve it cold or warm.