Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The recipe orginated from southern part of Ethiopia and now it is being enjoyed by all. Here is the recipe with my own twist to it.
- 1 lb farmer cheese, unsalted (or home-made cheese)
- 1 lb collard greens
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (Nitir Kebe)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (Mitimita)
- 1⁄2 onion (cut in halves)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder (korerima)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the collard green leaves and discard the stems; Wash the leaves in cold water.
- Boil water in a large pot; add onion, clove garlic, black pepper, and the collard greens. Cook the collard greens for 15 minutes until the leaves collapse altogether.
- Strain the collard greens and discard onion, garlic and water. Place the collard greens on a platter or flat pan to dry; chop finely the collard greens.
- In a bowl, flake the cheese with forks.
- Combine the chopped collard greens and the cheese.
- In small pot, on a lower heat, melt the butter, add Mitmita (cayenne), false cardamom, white pepper, garlic powder; Remove from heat;.
- Pour the spiced melted butter on the collard-cheese mixture; Mix it well until completely marinated; add salt if needed.
- Serve it at room temperature. Keep the rest in the fridge.