Having lived in Oaxaca for about 3 years, this recipe brings back fond memories. The aniseseed gives this salad a distinctly Oaxacan touch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the greens
- 1 lb beet leaves or 1 lb spinach leaves or 1 lb swiss chard, rinsed well
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
For the salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cups whole beets, cooked,peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1For the greens: If the greens are really big leaves, roughly cut or tear them.
- 2Steam the greens for ten minutes over 2 cups water.
- 3Drain for 20 minutes, then place the greens in a medium mixing bowl.
- 4In a small mixing bowl, mix the garlic, lime juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- 5Pour over the greens and toss well.
- 6For the salad: In a small mixing bowl, mix the vinegar, oil, garlic, aniseed, pepper and limejuice.
- 7Add the beets and allow to marinate.
- 8At serving time, lay the greens on a platter.
- 9Spoon the beet cubes on top and top with orange wedges, green onion and parsley.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ensalada de Betabel : Beet Salad
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.1
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 263.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g