4 hrs 30 mins
My version of the wonderful Filipino bread. Soft, very rich, sweet...perfection! The cheese seems like a strange addition, but you must try it to believe it. This looks like a wildly complicated recipe--in a way it is- but making bread is very soothing to me. Just be sure to read the recipe through a few times before you start.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1Sprinkle yeast over warm water and stir to dissolve.
- 2Add rest of (A) ingredients.
- 3Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- 4Scrape down the bowl of the mixer to 'clean it up' and just cover this bowl and let the dough rise in it.
- 5Cover and let rise about 30 minute.
- 6Mix together (B) and add to first dough mixture. Knead and shape into a ball using the mixer. Scrape down the bowl and rest the dough in it for another rise.
- 7Let rest until double. (about 40 min.).
- 8Finally, mix together (C)EXCEPT melted butter and cheese and add to the dough.
- 9Knead until smooth and satiny (about 5-10 min).
- 10Cover and let rise AGAIN for 60 minute.
- 11Divide the dough into golf ball sized balls and roll into thin ropes. Coil into 'beehives', place on greased sheet and brush with butter. Heap with grated cheese. Place rolls 2" apart.
- 12Let rise ONE last time (about 40 min).
- 13Bake 18-20 minute at 400 until nice and brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ensaimada- Sweet Rolls/Buns
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.5
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 160.8 mg
- Sodium 257.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: