No-Knead Sandwich Rolls/Buns
photo by Galley Wench
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer, room temperature lager such as Budweiser (Note Water can be substitued however it will somewhat effect the flavor)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, warm approximately 100 degrees
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 6 1⁄2 cups unsifted unbleached all-purpose flour (29.25 ounces)
- Refer to Recipe #309834 for insturctions on how to mix up the no-knead dough.
- Line a pizza peel with parchment paper.
- Spray the inside of 4-inch english muffin rings with non-stick cooking spray; and place on the pizza peel.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Lighly dust the surface with flour and cut off a 1 lb. piece of the dough (grapefruit size), this will make approximately 5-6 rolls, depending on the how thick you want them.
- With lightly floured hands quickly shape dough into a ball by streching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go.
- Divide the ball into 5 - 6 roughly equal pieces (about the size of a plum). Shape each into a ball; then flatten out each ball into a circle approximately 3 1/2 inches x 1/2 inch,.
- Place each disk of dough inside of a english muffin ring.
- Cover and allow to rise for 30 - 40 minutes (the shorter the time, the denser the roll).
- While the rolls are rising prepare the oven.
- Place one rack on the bottom shelf with a cast-iron skillet or broiler tray. This will be used to add steam to the oven and make crusty rolls. If you wish soft rolls just skip this step.
- Place the second rack in the middle of the oven with a baking stone.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Just before baking, spray the tops of the dough lightly with water and slash the top of each bun.
- Slide the buns onto the pre-heated baking stone.
- CAREFULLY add 1 cup of lukewarm water to the steamer pan.
- Quickly close the oven door and reduce heat to 425 degree F.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, before removing rings.
- Note: if soft buns are desired, brush the tops with butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"