Prep 40 mins
Cook 17 mins
I love trifle, and here's a slightly different version. Once you've made and enjoyed trifle, there's a good chance you'll want to get a pretty trifle bowl just to make this attractive dessert! A recipe adoption.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 poundcake or 1 package ladyfinger, sliced
- raspberries or strawberry jam or jelly
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine or 1⁄3 cup orange juice (I prefer the sherry)
- 1⁄3 cup raspberries (optional) or 1⁄3 cup strawberry syrup (optional)
- 1⁄4 dozen sliced toasted almond
- fresh raspberry
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- In batter bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch, then whisk in the eggs and milk.
- Microwave on 2 minutes, then whisk well.
- Microwave another 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Lay plastic wrap directly over the pudding (this keeps a "skin" from forming on the top) then set aside to stand 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice the cake into 1/2x1x3-inch "fingers" and make little jam sandwiches with the slices.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer in the bottom and sides of trifle dish or other deep bowl.
- Drizzle with half of the sherry (or orange juice), and the raspberry syrup, if using.
- Layer with half of the pudding, sliced fruit, and whipped cream.
- Add another layer of the remaining jam fingers on top of the pudding and fruit, drizzle with remaining sherry, then remaining pudding and fruit, ending with the remaining whipped cream, then top with the almonds.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to stand in refrigerator several hours, or overnight.
I made this recipe at school and all of my friends and teachers loved it, but iam not sure how many servings it makes, but it sure is good
Yum Yum!! Fanta-fabulous!
The five stars here are actually for the pudding made with the cornstarch, eggs, etc. This is an unbelievably easy dessert to make. I wisk in some melted chocolate at the end and everyone just loves it. Served with some whipped cream it's delightful.