1/1 Photo of English Sticky Toffee Pudding
This recipe was given to me by an English coworker, and it is unbelievable! Would make a great dessert for a holiday dinner. It's called a pudding, however, this is a moist cake with a caramel topping (the sticky part). You'll find that the caramel recipe alone is great, and could be used for many different things.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Directions for Pudding:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Chop the dates as finely as you prefer (if you like chunks in your cake, keep them bigger, but I usually like small small pieces).
- 4Boil the water and pour over the dates. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Let soak for about 5 minutes or so.
- 5While the dates soak, cream the softened butter and sugar with a mixer (paddle attachment helps).
- 6Add the egg and beat until combined and smooth. Add the flour.
- 7Stir in soaked date mixture and mix until combined.
- 8Place into 8 x 8 (or something similar) greased baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Toothpick or knife should come out clean when done. Be sure to check at 30 minutes, since oven times may vary.
- 9Directions for sauce:.
- 10Melt butter in saucepan.
- 11Add brown sugar and cream, bring to a boil.
- 12Boil for 2-3 mins until texture is slightly fudgy and velvety.
- 13Serve cake warm with warm sauce. We add the cooled sauce to the top of the cake and warm in microwave for 20 seconds, then top with a dollop of whipped cream or cool whip.
- 14The more sauce you use, the stickier the wicket!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Sticky Toffee Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.9
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.9 mg
- Sodium 255.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 3.2 g