Date Pudding With Toffee Sauce (Sticky Toffee Pudding)
- Ready In:
- 2 cups chopped pittted dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons dark rum or 2 teaspoons whiskey
- For the pudding: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a squate 9 inch baking pan. In a small saucepan mix together dates and water, bring to a boil. Add baking soda and stir until the dates begin to break down and mixture thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, allspice, and salt, set aside. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- On low speed gradually add flour mixture alternating with date mixture and beat until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes. Let pudding cool in pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Meanwhile make toffee sauce.
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan mix together butter, sugar, and cream. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Reduce heat to low and cook without stirring for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in alchohol.
- Cut pudding into squares and serve warm with sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I had no idea that a non-chocolate dessert could be this good!!!! This cake is absolutely, amazingly divine. Everyone who tried it loved it. And the whiskey sauce is so good I can't help but wonder if it would be wrong to dump over pancakes first thing in the morning. Every morning. Mmmmmmmmm.......