1/4 Photos of English Muffin Toasting Bread
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe was featured in an email today from the www.kingarthurflour.com website. "This yeasty, coarse-textured bread makes the best toast ever, a perfect partner to fresh summer jam or preserves. A purely mix-it-slap-in-the-pan-bake-and-eat-it loaf, it's earned a place of honor in our King Arthur test kitchen Hall of Fame."
My Private Note
loaf of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and instant yeast.
- 2Combine the milk, water, and oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat to between 120°F and 130°F The liquid will feel very hot (hotter than lukewarm), but not so hot that it would scald you. As a reference point, the hottest water from your kitchen tap is probably around 120°F (unless your tap water is so hot that it burns you).
- 3Pour the hot liquid into the bowl.
- 4Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.
- 5Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
- 6Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.
- 7Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of the pan. When you look at the rim of the pan from eye level, you should see the dough, but it shouldn't be more than, say, 1/4" over the rim. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F
- 8Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 20 to 22 minutes, until it's golden brown and its interior temperature is 190°F
- 9Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Muffin Toasting Bread
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.1
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 328.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g