Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup light cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture has the consistency of coarse cornmeal.
- Set aside. Reserve a little of the egg whites (to brush over tops of scones) and beat eggs until light. Stir in milk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add liquid all at once, stirring with a fork vigorously until dough comes freely from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat dough out to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into 8 triangles or squares or form into "biscuits".
- Brush tops with egg whites and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Variations: Raisin Scones Add to dry ingredients 1/2 cup seedless raisins, currants, Craisins or other fruits (fresh blueberries or raspberries, apple chunks etc). Cheese Scones Reduce sugar to 1 tsp Add 1 cup of shredded sharp cheese to dry ingredients.
- Do Not sprinkle with sugar before baking.
Very easy to make. Delicious as is or with one of the variations.
good texture. the dough was a little sticky and therefore tough to cut, but everyone enjoyed them. they are not very dense.