Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A fine English dish with a salad, hot buttered bread and a nice red wine.
- 907.18 g floury potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2 large onions
- 28.34 g beef drippings
- 907.18 g minced beef
- 14.78 ml flour
- 236.59 ml strong beef stock
- 396.89 g canchopped tomatoes
- 226.79 g frozen vegetables (green beans are nice)
- 118.29 ml milk
- 56.69 g butter
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water.
- Preheat oven to 375* Thinly slice onions.
- Heat dripping in a fry pan and fry onions until transparent.
- Add beef and fry until browned.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Slowly add stock and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes with juice, s& p and frozen veg.
- Simmer for 5 min.
- Spoon cooked mixture into a casserole dish and spread on the mashed spuds.
- Bake for 30 min.
If like me you cannot stomach onions simply peel them and put them in whole. This gives the flavour without the texture
Very good! I just made half a recipe for the two of us. I had 4 slices of smoked gouda cheese I laid across the mashed potatoes to top it off. So it looks a little strange, the cheese didn't melt it kind of roasted and was delicious! the only thing is the mashed potatos under them didn't brown, anyway all in all the whole thing was delicious! Also used becel soft marg instead of butter. Tasty supper thanks DIB's, I will be making it again.