Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Now that endive is at peak season here in the markets, I am always on the lookout for recipes using it. The raisins give the salad a nice balance of sweetness combined with the slightly bitter taste of endive and radicchio. This is from Canada's Company's Coming. Did you know...? "Endive is grown completely underground or indoors in the absence of sunlight, a process that prevents the leaves from turning green and opening". Source: wikipedia.
- 3 heads Belgian endive, leaves separated
- 3 cups radicchio, torn
- 1 cup bell pepper, seeded, membrane removed, diced (green or red)
- 3⁄4 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, sliced and cut into crescents (my addition-optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Salad: Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss.
- Salad Dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a jar fitted with a tight fitting lid. Shake well. Best prepared at least 1 hour in advance. Shake well before pouring. Yield: 1/3 cup.
- Serve salad with dressing on the side.