1/1 Photo of Enchiladas Coloradas (Red Enchiladas)
I picked up this recipe while living in The Land of Enchantment New Mexico. Makes a great breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 lb grated longhorn cheese
- 1 large white onions or 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- shredded lettuce
RED CHILE SAUCE (use 2 cups)
- 1Prepare RED CHILE SAUCE:.
- 2Wash chile and remove stems and seeds.
- 3Combine chile and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 4Lower heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- 5Let cool and blend in a blender a small amount at a time.
- 6Strain through a sieve and add salt.
- 7Store 2 cups in refrigerator for immediate use and freeze remainder for later use.
- 8Prepare ENCHILADAS:.
- 9Heat chile sauce over low heat.
- 10Heat oil in frying pan.
- 11Using tongs, dip each tortilla in the hot oil just long enough to soften it.
- 12DO NOT FRY!
- 13Place 2 tortillas, one at a time, on an oven proof plate.
- 14Spoon on one or two tablespoons of the red chile sauce.
- 15Sprinkle with cheese and onion.
- 16Repeat the process with 2 more tortillas.
- 17Put plate in a warm oven to melt cheese.
- 18Repeat the procedure until all four plates are in the oven.
- 19Melt butter in a frying pan.
- 20Fry the eggs the way you like them (Over easy works best with for this dish).
- 21Place one egg on top of each enchilada plate.
- 22Decorate edges of plate with shredded lettuce and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchiladas Coloradas (Red Enchiladas)
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.0
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 278.6 mg
- Sodium 1064.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 25.2 g