Green, White, and Red Enchiladas
photo by PalatablePastime
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 fresh corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups queso fresco
- 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In a mixing bowl, stir together cooked chicken with cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and chopped green chilies; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom of large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Heat chicken broth until it is warm and place in a shallow bowl.
- Immerse corn tortillas one at a time immediately before filling- just until it softens just a tad; do not oversoak.
- Remove tortilla from broth, and add another while filling.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of chicken filling across the center of the tortilla, then roll up.
- Place rolled tortilla into the casserole dish.
- Repeat until all tortillas and filling are used.
- Pour green chile enchilada sauce and tomato salsa over the tops of the rolled tortillas, leaving some of each sauce exposed so it shows red/green.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and top with chopped cilantro.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or so or until dish is warmed through, cheese is melted, and slightly golden on top.
- Serve enchiladas garnished with a spoonful of sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent! I boiled 4 chicken leg quarters, skin removed. Then used the left over broth to soften the tortillas. I found that if the broth was on simmer and I dipped both sides in the broth that I had better luck than immersing. I used 4 fresh frozen green chilies in place of the canned and instead of 10 oz green enchilada sauce, I used 15 oz. Glad that I did or they would not have enough sauce. DS even took leftovers home with him. Served this with a side salad and Chia's Black Beans and Barley (#100577). Thanks for sharing.