A friend of mine gave this recipe about 15 years ago, and I made it for a Hispanic group celebration, it was a hit.
- 8 tortillas
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno pepper (if you want it hot) (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- Cook and stir hamburger in skillet over medium heat until light brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir onion, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper, cover.
- Heat remaining ingredients to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduced heat.
- Simmer uncover 5 minutes.
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup hamburger mixture onto each tortilla, roll tortilla around filling.
- Arrange in ungreased oblong baking dish with seam side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cook uncovered in 350 degrees oven, until bubbly, about 20 minutes.