Recipe by Goob's_Mom
The basic recipe is from a mexican restaurant but I have changed it over the years to make the "ultimate Enchilada Sauce". We use the same sauce on our poutine. Our friends beg me for the recipe! We have also used it as a dip for bbq chicken.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 10 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or margarine until just melted them remove from heat.
- add chili powder oregano garlic powder coriander salt pepper cumin into melted butter and stir till well mixed together.
- return to heat and stir.
- once hot add flour to the butter mixture and mix until flour is mixed with the butter. You should not see any white from the flour.
- Add the chicken bouillon cubs just before adding the water.
- Add the water a cup at a time and whisk until smooth.
- repeat this step until all the water is used and the sauce is smooth.
- for a thicker sauce use less water or a thinner sauce use more water.
- once smooth add the can of tomato sauce and whisk again till well blended.
- Add six tablespoons Ketchup and stir.
- simmer on low heat until until ready to use.