Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I had leftover enchilada sauce, ground pork and vegies to be cooked. This is the result. It is a hearty good soup. Instead of ground pork, you can use Jones brand Scrapple; ground pork mixed with cornmeal but omit the cornmeal listed in the recipe. I serve with tortilla chips. The next day it is still as delicious. If too thick add a little water.
- 2 quarts hot water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (15 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 6 -8 fresh mushrooms, rough chopped (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1⁄2 ounces mccormick taco seasoning mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 (12 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- salt and pepper
- tortilla chips
- In frying pan add oil, ground pork, salt and pepper,chopped onions,.
- chopped mushrooms. Saute until pork is browned and vegetables cooked.
- Add taco seasoning mix with 3/4 cup water and stir to mix. Bring to a boil,
- cook five minutes. Set aside.
- In dutch oven, add barley to 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cover, simmer 20 minutes, stirring twice.
- Add Sautéed pork, vegetable mixture, canned tomatoes to dutch oven.
- Then add enchilada sauce and cornmeal. Stir until mixed. Cover.
- Simmer 20 minutes stirring twice.
- Serve over tortilla chips or with the chips.