Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here's a quick, tasty casserole recipe that I found in the Chicago Tribune. I normally stay away from recipes that use 'one can cream of whatever' but this one's an exception. I threw it together one day after work (out of desperation) and we were quite pleased with the results. The leftovers taste even better, warmed up the next day!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan over med-high heat, combine ground beef, chorizo sausage and onions; cook until meat is browned.
- Pour off fat, add tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine; set aside.
- Line the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with 6 of the tortillas, slightly overlapping them.
- Spoon reserved meat mixture over tortillas and top with remaining tortillas.
- Combine cream of chicken soup and milk and stir until smooth.
- Pour soup mixture over tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This was pretty good! The chorizo adds a definite spice to the cassarole. You want to make sure to use a good quality chorizo or it will lean to the salty side. Good for a quick dinner on a cold night.
This was delicious! I didn't have Chorizo on hand so i used a can of pinto beans[drained]. I used 1/2 c. onions and then used some onion powder. I needed to use up some green chilies i had frozen so i threw those in too. i halved the meat mixture and made two meat layers so i used 18 corn tortillas rather than 12. Everything else as directed and this was awesome! I will definitely be making this again!
Probably not the healthiest meal on the planet, but pretty darn tasty. I substituted Healthy Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup for the Cream of Chicken soup. I don't think this worked very well, as the mixture was too thin and didn't stay on top of the casserole. I also substituted "Mountain Bread" for the tortillas ... it was a bit too thin and didn't hold up to the sauce. Next time I will stick to the recipe as written!