1 hr 30 mins
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. An Ecuadorean recipe from www.laylita.com, sometimes used as a hangover cure. Yuca or cassava or cassaba should be available at latin supermarkets. The Pickled Red Onion and Tomato Salsa is essential to make this an "Encebollado".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
PICKLED RED ONION AND TOMATO SALSA
- 2 small red onions, cut in half and sliced very thin
- 3 limes, juice only
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tomatoes, cut in half and sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1PICKLED RED ONION AND TOMATO SALSA:.
- 2Cut each onion in half, slice very finely and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- 3Cover the onions with lukewarm water and let rest for another 10 minutes.
- 4Rinse and drain the onions.
- 5Add the lime juice and the oil, place in the fridge until about 30 minutes before serving.
- 6Cut the tomatoes in half and slice very finely.
- 7Mix the onions, sliced tomatoes and cilantro, taste and add salt if necessary.
- 8FISH SOUP:.
- 9Heat the oil on medium heat to make a refrito (fried preparation to add to recipe) with diced onion, tomato, cumin, chili powder and salt.
- 10Add the water and cilantro springs, bring to a boil.
- 11Add the tuna and cook for until the tuna is fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- 12Drain the tuna and keep the broth to cook the yuca.
- 13Separate or break the tuna into small to medium size pieces.
- 14Bring the tuna broth to a boil and add the yucas, cook until tender but firm, about 30-40 minutes for the frozen yuca.
- 15Take the yuca from the broth, remove the strings and cut into bite size chunks.
- 16Add the yuca chunks and tuna pieces to the broth, taste and add salt if needed.
- 17Re-warm the soup if necessary and serve topped with a good amount of pickled onion and tomato salsa. If desired, can also serve with avocado slices and extra lime slices.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Encebollado De Pescado (Fresh Tuna Soup With Pickled Onions)
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.2
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 938.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 28.4 g