Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a must at Cuban birthday parties.
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard (or shortening)
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons annatto oil
- 1 lb ground beef, any ground meat will do
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk (cream or water)
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in lard (or shortening).
- Combine water with lemon juice (or vinegar) and yolks and mix well.
- Add to flour and, with your hands, form into a ball and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut ball in half and roll into large thin 16 x 20-inch rectangle.
- Cut into 4 x 4 inch squares and chill until filling is ready.
- Heat oil in large skillet and brown beef well, 1/3 at a time.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne to taste and remove from pan.
- Saute onions, garlic , pepper and chile until soft.
- Return meat and any juices to pan.
- Add tomatoes, raisins, and vinegar.
- Cook until meat is very tender,30 to 45 minute.
- Stir in olives and cook for another 10 minute.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in pastry squares.
- Fold over and seal.
- Trim any excess pastry but keep triangle shape.
- Mix egg and milk (or cream or water) for an egg wash and brush it onto the turnovers. Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.