Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe for Emeril's Essence spice, used in many of his recipes. May also be used within many of your own dishes as an extra kick of flavor.
- 8 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons cayenne
- 5 tablespoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dried thyme
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Blend well.
- Can be stored in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.
I have been making Essence of Emeril for years. I use 1 tablespoon of kosher salt instead of 1/4 cup of table salt and it is just perfect. All the other flavors season the food so well that you do not miss the salt at all. I use it to blacken catfish and as a dry rub for roasted baby back ribs (awesome)....everything....it is so good that I am often making new batches. MUCH cheaper than buying, that's for sure!!
Nice and fresh! I used a bit less of the two peppers and I agree, it would be just as good without all of the salt. Something to think about, at least to cut it back, if not out completely.
Used this as an ingredient in another recipe. I made a 1/2 recipe as I don't need the full amount. I skipped the onion powder as I didn't have any and wasn't making a special trip to the store. It was a bit salty so maybe less next time.